Monday, August 27, 2007

How To: Unsubscribe from Catalogs

ummmm... maybe we should just cancel some of the junk we get.

 
 

Sent to you by David via Google Reader:

 
 

via LH -mac -news -roundup -sponsors by Gina Trapani on Aug 27, 2007

catalog-unsub.png
While most reputable companies make it easy to unsubscribe from their email list, those same companies make it as much of a pain as possible to unsubscribe from their paper catalog. Sick of watching my recycling bin fill up with unopened catalogs, and haunted by the thought of all that wasted paper, postage and gas, I set out this weekend to start unsubscribing from catalog mailings that I'm not sure I ever opted into to begin with.

Most companies I receive catalogs from don't offer an unsubscribe option online, like Crate & Barrel, CB2 and Crutchfield. So short of making a phone call, instead I emailed their customer service department with the customer ID printed on the catalog. Dell in particular was bombarding me with so many catalogs per week I actually called them. Thirty five minutes of hold time later they removed me from the list (and told me I still might receive a few more before the change went through.) Pier 1 was the only company who made life easy; there you can unsubscribe directly on site. After all that, dropping a buck to get myself on the Direct Marketing Association's Do Not Mail list seemed like a great idea. How do you manage/unsubscribe/avoid the catalog onslaught? Let us know in the comments. Thanks, Peter!

How to Get Off A Mailing List [Direct Marketing Association]


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: